But, Pont de Gau is above all a family’s history. In 1949, an inhabitant of Camargue, a nature lover, André Lamouroux, fitted out what was commonly called « small zoological gardens » which evolved very little until his son, René, took over the reins in 1974.
He imagined something completely different and gave to the park a breath of fresh air, an innovative look and an essential educational mission.
In the original park, he traded the old and rickety cages for large aviaries where he reconstructed the biotope for each species presented. Then, he enlarged the areas and transformed the neighbouring 12-acre hunting marshes to which he gave a whole other function: the protection and discovery of nature in Camargue.
He laid discovery trails all throughout this new area that he created to welcome many different bird species. He transformed islets, planted thousands of trees and shrubs and informed the visitors by vast and playful and thematic panels.
Beyond bird watching, one of the Park's principal missions remains keeping people sensitized to the protection of Carmargue and of nature in general.